The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Currently, we’re looking for a Driver, to provide transport services for staff and other authorised passengers at the British Embassy to and from assigned destinations within Berlin in a safe, efficient and courteous manner, strictly adhering to road traffic rules, Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) Transport Policy, Germany Network Transport Policy and Post’s security regulations.
The successful applicant must have a clean driving licence and a minimum of four years driving experience. The applicants also require good working knowledge of the city, its environs and other areas of the country.
The individual will need to be extremely efficient in managing their time in an environment that is dynamic and liable to change at very short notice. The individual should be able to think ahead and choose the best route for the journey, demonstrate initiative, be extremely discreet and polite in all dealings with both internal and external contacts as a representative of the Embassy.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Manage transport booking requests and communicate effectively with customers and other stakeholders;
- Drive staff and visitors to meetings and functions within Berlin;
- Conduct Airport runs to pick up/drop off staff and visitors. Liaise with Airport officials as necessary;
- Undertake journeys within Germany as necessary;
- Perform duties in line with post security regulations;
- Complete accurate journey record sheets for all journeys in official vehicles.
Vehicle Maintenance and Management
- Keep accurate records of vehicle mileage, fuel consumption and maintenance work/costs;
- Perform daily inspections to ensure that all official vehicles are road worthy and in good working order;
- Wash/clean official vehicles ensuring they are kept tidy and parked in a secured area;
- Complete vehicle inspection checklists and promptly report any defects, faults or incidents that occur to the Transport Manager;
- Check that all vehicle equipment and tools are secured safely and are functioning correctly;
- Manage a working stock of spares (held in stores with restricted access) for the fleet based in Berlin in line with FCDO/Germany Network policy.
- Assist the Transport Manager / Deputy Transport Manager and liaise with other Corporate Services staff based in Berlin as necessary;
- Update transport related data using Microsoft Office IT systems and maintain other records as may be delegated by the Transport manager;
- Maintain adequate records for all the operations of the transport unit required for audit purposes e.g. Journey records, Stores, Vehicle maintenance checklists, Fuel Consumption, etc;
- Perform other duties as assigned, including basic admin support within wider team;
- Assist with crisis response (Transport/Logistics).
- Intermediate German and English language skills (written and spoken, minimum level required B1 under the CEFRL or equivalent*) are required;
- Minimum 4 years driving experience;
- Experience in driving Diplomatic, Military or Senior personnel preferred;
- Good customer service and communication skills;
- Basic administration/IT skills, including Microsoft Office, to perform data entry, internet research, and schedule appointments;
- Impeccable driving record with clean driving licence;
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional early mornings and late evenings;
- Team player;
- Knowledge of the Berlin area;
- Completion of further training related to the role and regular refresher training;
- Flexibility to perform other duties as required.
- Experience of driving B6 armoured vehicles;
- First aid certificate.