The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
As the economic development agency for the Government of Northern Ireland, Invest Northern Ireland (‘Invest NI’) is responsible for furthering the trade and investment growth of Northern Ireland industry in overseas markets.
Invest NI’s International Division assists companies across multiple sectors in Northern Ireland to identify and develop sales & strategic business partnerships in international markets, in addition to working with major companies in market who may want to expand into Northern Ireland.
In order to strengthen our European team and support our exporters expand into the DACH region, we are seeking to appoint a highly motivated and business development/industry experienced individual, with strong commercial acumen that can spot an opportunity and link it to the strengths Northern Ireland has to offer. The post-holder will proactively identify and develop mobile FDI projects within businesses with the goal to relocate departments and function to Northern Ireland.
The post-holder will lead on developing and implementing a sector export strategy for the Germany & DACH markets covering Food & Beverages, Consumer Goods and Financial Services. The post-holder will work in partnership with colleagues both in market (throughout Europe) and in Invest NI Belfast HQ to deliver against the strategy. They will work closely with Northern Irish companies to provide information and introductions to support commercial wins.
This is an exciting and fast-moving role, and you will have a chance to work within a wider European team, trade advisors in Northern Ireland, in partnership with local and international stakeholders and colleagues at the British Consulate.
Why should you apply?
Are you a team player who would like to work in a diverse team within a fast-moving and exciting environment? We offer an interesting and challenging work environment, from strategy creation and implementation, to supporting NI businesses achieve commercial wins to selling Northern Ireland to potential investors. As the Invest NI Head of Business Development for DACH you will feel satisfaction from linking NI businesses to opportunities in DACH as well as generating investment prospects. Skills can be learned along the way, but the right attitude is what we are looking for as well as the ability to come across with credible knowledge when speaking to senior executives about the potential of Northern Ireland.
This is a fixed-term 18-month contract with the possibility of a permanent contract subject to performance and funding.
What is this role all about?
The post-holder will be responsible for developing a cohesive FDI strategy and trade strategy across in the Food & Beverages, Consumer Goods and Financial Services sectors.
To do this the candidate will:
- Identify business opportunities in the above sectors for Northern Ireland companies through market intelligence, connections, research and meetings to promote Northern Ireland capability to key decision makers;
- Share information to allow Northern Ireland companies to make business decisions, compete for business and ultimately grow sales;
- Develop strong C-level relationships with targeted companies, stakeholders and influencers in the region, to enable Northern Ireland companies to engage with them;
- Identify potential investors and provide information to allow them to assess Northern Ireland for business growth and navigate them through the Invest NI investment process.
- Represent Northern Ireland at various sector events and sponsorships to engage with C-suite executives;
- Develop a network of NI ex-pats living / working in DACH and work with Northern Ireland Connections to lever economic returns to Northern Ireland.
- Collaborate and build effective partnerships with British Embassy and Consulate, DIT and other stakeholders including Northern Ireland government representatives, business and trade organisations; and work on joint planning and delivery of events where appropriate;
- Advise and manage VIP visit programmes (including Ministerial delegations) to DACH and arrange all necessary logistics and protocols
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Fluent English and German, both written and verbal (at least C1 level CEFR framework)*
- Recent work experience of at least 6 years within a similar role
- Excellent numeracy skills and good attention to detail
- Ability to deliver high quality work within deadlines
- Ability to juggle competing priorities
- Good communication skills and strong customer focus
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently, but also with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider teams as appropriate
- Good IT skills, especially standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook).