The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The British Embassy in Berlin is a large overseas mission in the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) network. We aim to be a diverse and inclusive employer, welcoming to people of all backgrounds. The senior leadership is committed to ensuring that we are a supportive and fair place to work. We are now looking for a Human Resources Manager.
Why should you apply?
Are you a team player who would like to work in a diverse team within a fast-moving and exciting environment? We offer an engaging and challenging work environment, dealing with interesting projects. Skills can be learned along the way, but the right attitude is what we are looking for.
As a Human Resources Manager, together with the HR, Pay and Benefits Manager, you will lead the HR team to provide a professional service across the Germany network in line with German labour law, best practice and central Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) policy. Each manager will have their own responsibilities but will be expected to cover for each other across the whole range of local HR services, liaising with Corporate Services colleagues in the Consulates in relevant areas.
We are offering you the opportunity to be part of a friendly and supportive working environment with opportunities for personal growth.
Main purpose of job:
Reporting to the Deputy Head of Corporate Services and working closely with the HR, Pay and Benefits Manager and the Finance Manager, the Human Resources Manager will be responsible for providing a professional HR service across the Germany network and for delivering a consistent and high quality management of all human resource related topics including job design, recruitment, employee relations, organisational development and talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Country Based Staff (CBS) human resources matters in close liaison with HR Hub, Line Managers, Job Holders and Senior Leadership Team;
- Provide a professional HR service across the FCDO’s Germany network (British Embassy Berlin, Consulate-Generals Düsseldorf and Munich) by advising and supporting all staff in line with labour law and FCDO guidance; German labour law, best practice and central FCDO policy;
- Provide advice and support line managers with more complex HR matters delivering expert advice and outlining compliance issues, risks, benefits and legal obligations;
- Update Senior Managers on HR topics. When appropriate, deliver advice on options and risks. Seek legal advice, if necessary;
- Monitor the HR Hub’s performance of recruitment and other transactional processes. Work in partnership with the HR hub to continuously improve performance;
- Oversee general HR administration (e.g. contracts, absences). Manage any administrative recruitment/exit processes that are not covered by the HR hub. Liaise with German authorities regarding any HR matters as required;
- Develop and revise HR policies in line with German labour law and central FCDO guidance for better organisational effectiveness;
- Prepare all legally required HR documents and proof-read employment references issued by line managers;
- Line manage a team of currently two HR officers, who also support diplomatic staff as well as local staff;
- Provide statistical HR data and analysis as required;
- Manage relationships with HR Hub staff, legal adviser and HR contacts in other diplomatic missions;
- Support diversity and inclusion through all of the HR processes that you lead, and in particular, support the HR officer leading on diversity and inclusion in delivering on specific projects as appropriate;
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
Our ideal Candidate shows:
- Fluent written and spoken German and English (minimum C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
- A professional qualification in HR;
Solid and relevant HR experience in a generalist role, minimum of 2-3 years.
Solid experience in recruitment;
- Strong line management experience;
- Good knowledge of German labour law and social insurance regulations;
- Some budget and payroll preparation experience;
Ability to deliver high quality work within deadlines;
- Customer focussed and the ability to empathise with other people’s circumstances;
- The ability to respect confidentiality at all times;
Excellent communication skills;
- The ability to work independently but also with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider teams as appropriate;
- Personal resilience and ability to cope with pressure;
- Ability to occasionally undertake duty travel within Germany and elsewhere, if required;
- Excellent IT skills, especially standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook).
This is a fixed-term 2 year contract with the possibility of a permanent contract subject to performance and funding.
For further details on this vacancy and information on how to apply, please follow the link.