The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Currently, we are looking for an Personal and Team Assistant – Global & Economic Issues (Maternity Cover).
Why should you apply?
Are you interested in international relations? Would you like to make an impact in a fast-moving, high-profile environment?
You will play a key role working at the heart of one of the Global & Economic Issues Section, with around 16 staff based at the Embassy in Berlin, with colleagues also working in Düsseldorf and Munich. The team aims to support sustained economic growth in both the UK and Germany through diplomatic engagement in the following areas: energy & climate, economics & finance, science & innovation, social policy, G7 & G20 and European issues.
We are looking for a Personal and Team Assistant to support us in achieving these goals, by providing administrative support to the Counsellor, Global & Economic Issues, and the wider team:
- As personal assistant to the Counsellor, you will be responsible for the coordination of her engagements as well as the organisation her programmes and briefing
- As team assistant, you will help ensure the smooth running of the DIT Germany team, including supporting on team activities, projects and senior visits
- You will also have the opportunity to contribute to and benefit from the Network’s corporate activity and goals
In this role, you will be working closely across and with multiple teams across the Embassy and Consulates. As such, it is important that you have the ability to juggle competing tasks and be highly organised.
You will need to develop effective relationships with colleagues across the Network, including the office of the Ambassador and other senior leaders, as well as with offices of key stakeholders in Germany and the UK. This will require excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with senior contacts.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Manage Counsellor’s diary, including scheduling of all internal and external meetings and appointments
- Coordinate the preparation of briefing papers and presentations for Counsellor’s external meetings and speaking engagements, ensuring smooth coordination with other team members and Network colleagues
- Organise visit programmes and transport arrangements for the Counsellor in Germany and in the UK, including VIP and senior visits
- Manage English and German written correspondence and telephone enquiries and provide administrative support on behalf of Counsellor, including arranging team meetings and video conferences
- Manage the Counsellor and Team’s expenses and travel budget
- Support the Counsellor and teams on special projects, some of which will be led by the jobholder
- Provide administrative support to the team, including setting up meetings, drafting and circulating meeting agendas and recording minutes
- Provide support to the Counsellor, including with management of the DIT Germany budget
- With colleagues, provide general office management for the team in Berlin
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required in support of the wider work of the Embassy (including crisis response) and in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job