The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our Consulates General in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
The Consulate General in Dusseldorf leads on the UK’s bilateral relationships with the federal states of North Rhine Westphalia (NRW), Hesse, Rhineland Palatinate and Saarland, including political, consular and business issues. The majority of the Consulate General’s day-to-day work supports the Department for International Trade (DIT) in Germany. DIT’s mission is to improve market access for businesses, champion free and fair trade, and encourage trade and investment between the UK and Germany, whilst at the same time supporting global goals – e.g. tackling climate change and improving economic security. For more information about DIT’s objectives, see here. The DIT Germany team has around 35 staff based at the British Embassy in Berlin and the Consulates-General in Düsseldorf and Munich.
We are looking for an enterprising, team oriented and highly organised individual to join the British Consulate General in Düsseldorf as Personal Assistant to the Consul General and Bilateral Support Officer.
Why should you apply?
Are you interested in international relations? Would you like to make an impact in a fast-moving, high-profile environment?
You will play a key role supporting the operations of the Consulate General. As Personal Assistant, you will ensure the smooth running of the Consul General’s office. This includes diary organisation, arranging programmes and events and coordinating senior visits with a wide range of internal and external contacts. As Bilateral Support Officer you will support the further development and new activities in bilateral relations, in particular between NRW and the UK. This follows the signature of a Joint Declaration on bilateral relations in February 2022 between NRW and the UK.
This role offers an excellent opportunity to develop your own contact networks and knowledge of the UK’s bilateral political and commercial relationships with Germany. We are committed to ensuring the jobholder can use this role as a great development opportunity. You will have the chance to take part in our broad and varied corporate and learning and development opportunities.
The successful candidate should have strong organisational, delivery and communication skills. Working as part of a large team and matrix structure, you will need to have a flexible approach and be able to juggle competing demands and pick up new issues quickly.
Roles and responsibilities:
Personal Assistant – 80%
- Management of the Consul General’s calendar, internal and external appointments, travel programmes and official administration, including handling correspondence and enquiries and input to communications & social media activity
- Coordination and support for visit programmes & briefing for senior visitors to the four federal states covered by Düsseldorf. Visitors can include Ministers, the British Ambassador and senior officials from DIT or other Government Departments
- Maintaining close working relationships with internal & external contacts, including in politics, business & the British community
- Leading or supporting the organisation & delivery of events, including at the Consul General’s Residence and the annual Queen’s Birthday Party reception
- Support for wider Düsseldorf and DIT Germany teams, such as arranging team meetings
Bilateral Support Officer – 20%
- Work with internal & external colleagues to support the development of the new UK-NRW bilateral Steering Committee on bilateral relations, including the organisation of the annual NRW-UK senior level meeting
- Provide administrative support to follow up and monitor new and ongoing bilateral projects and actions agreed by the UK-NRW Steering Committee
- Provide support to other activities and programmes as requested e.g. the Invictus Games taking place in Düsseldorf in September 2023
The job holder is also expected to contribute to wider work of the Consulate General through corporate activity, including crisis work.