The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a Personal and Team Assistant to provide administrative support to Her Majesty’s Deputy Trade Commissioner for Europe (DHMTC) for the Department for International Trade (DIT), including in their capacity as Country Director for the DIT Germany team and Counsellor International Trade at the British Embassy in Berlin.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is a specialised Government body aiming to promote UK trade across the world and attracting foreign investment to the UK. This role will offer to the jobholder an exciting opportunity to be part of a dynamic and high-performing team, which is responsible for delivering DIT’s priorities in Germany:
- Reduce market access barriers;
- Champion free and fair trade;
- Facilitate UK exports to Germany;
- Encourage economic growth through attracting investment into the UK.
You will play a key role working at the centre of one of the Germany Network’s biggest teams, with around 40 DIT staff based at the Embassy in Berlin and the Consulates-General in Düsseldorf and Munich:
- As personal assistant to the DHMTC and DIT Germany Country Director, you will be responsible for the coordination of diary engagements as well as the organisation of DHMTC’s programmes and briefing.
- As team assistant, you will help ensure the smooth running of the DIT Germany team, including supporting on team activities, projects and senior visits.
In this role, you will be working closely with multiple teams across the Embassy and Consulates. As such, it is important that you have the ability to juggle competing tasks and be highly organised.
You will need to develop effective relationships with colleagues across the International Trade network in Europe and in the UK, as well as with offices of key businesses and stakeholders on behalf of DIT Germany. This will require excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with senior contacts.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Personal Assistant
- Manage DHMTC’s diary, including scheduling of all internal and external meetings and appointments;
- Coordinate the preparation of briefing papers and presentations for DHMTC’s external meetings and speaking engagements, ensuring smooth coordination with other team members based across Germany and Europe;
- Organise visit programmes and transport arrangements for DHMTC in Germany and in the UK, including VIP and senior visits;
- Manage English and German written correspondence and telephone enquiries and provide administrative support on behalf of DHMTC, including arranging team meetings and video conferences;
- Maintain DHMTC’s contacts database;
- Manage DHMTC’s expenses and travel budget.
- Team Assistant
- Support the Director and teams on special projects, some of which will be led by the jobholder. This may include organising business events, receptions and representing DIT at events or meetings with UK or German companies;
- Provide administrative support to the DIT Germany team, including setting up meetings, drafting and circulating meeting agendas and recording minutes;
- Provide support to the Deputy Country Director for Germany, including with management of the DIT Germany budget;
- Provide general office management for the DIT team in Berlin;
- Carry out other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
- Proficiency in English and German (written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Proven experience in a similar role, i.e. administration, project management support, supporting a senior leader or busy teams;
- Strong team player with excellent communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships across all levels;
- Good time management and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks;
- Expert user of applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Budget management experience;
- Familiarity with social media and drafting;
- Interest in international business, trade promotion, investment and global trade policy.
Our Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years, with the possibility of renewal by mutual agreement. The gross yearly salary is €45,564.00 rising to a maximum of approx. €51,182.00 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay (salary is not negotiable).
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
The Germany Network and DIT are a rewarding and exciting place to work, offering:
- Much scope for personal and professional development: Excellent networks and opportunities for support, including mentoring, coaching, job shadowing and secondments;
- Strong offer for learning and development, including dedicated L&D days and many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues;
- An equal, diverse and engaged workplace;
- Opportunities to actively engage in corporate activities and initiatives in the Germany Network, such as Greening the Network, Germany Women’s Network, the Social Mobility Group, the Germany People Committee;
- Work-life balance;
- Performance related bonus.
Personal & Team Assistant (DEU21.588) – FCO Local Posts (tal.net)