The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our Consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. Are you interested in a career in international trade? Would you like to make an impact in a fast-moving, high-profile international environment? We are looking for an enterprising team member with commercial experience to join the UK’s Department for Business and Trade (DBT) team in either Munich or Dusseldorf, as a Trade Advisor for International Markets DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) Region.
- DBTs mission in Europe is to improve market access for businesses, champion free and fair trade, and encourage trade and investment between the UK and Europe. This is critical to our economies, supporting millions of jobs, driving economic growth, raising wages and improving living standard across the globe, whilst at the same time promoting wider goals like tackling climate change and improving economic security.
- At the British Consulate in Munich or Düsseldorf you will work in a friendly and welcoming international environment with an excellent team spirit. As a valued member of our team we are giving you the chance to quickly take ownership, responsibility and grow.
- Under the guidance of the DBT Germany ESS IM Lead, you will support some of the UK’s highest potential exporters in their ambition to grow in the DACH region.
- As part of the DBT team, you will have the opportunity to work with colleagues across the DBT Europe’s 33 markets as well as with teams in London and across the UK.
- As such, this role offers an excellent opportunity to build up your own network of industry contacts as well as gain knowledge of the UK’s commercial and business relationship with Europe and gain valuable insights into economic diplomacy work.
About the position:
- Retail, Food & Drink, Advanced Engineering – you name it. UK companies and products are highly regarded and sought after in Europe for their quality and innovation. With the support of DBT, thousands of UK companies discover new markets and opportunities every year. We are looking for a new team member to support these companies in the Swiss, Austrian and Germany markets – also known as the DACH region.
- As Trade Adviser for the Export Support Service – International Markets (ESS IM) you will support high potential British exporters win business in DACH region. In this role you will prioritise enquiries from UK Exporters related to the Swiss and Austrian markets and also support enquiries for the German market where necessary. A core element of the role will be to deliver practical support to UK companies. This will include researching market and sector information, identifying companies who can provide in-market representation and identifying clients.
- You will also seek to expand networks of commercial partners in the region, including private sector providers of commercial services. As with all DBT positions, there will be a focus on working collaboratively with DBT export teams across the DACH (Germany, Switzerland, Austria) region to ensure a joined up approach and to maximise opportunities for the UK.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Support UK exporters by providing, guidance, information and insight as part of the ESS IM Europe team – including innovative small companies, entrepreneurs and Medium Sized Businesses, in coordination with export teams across the DACH region.
- You will prioritise the Swiss and Austria markets while supporting enquiries for the German market where necessary.
- You will work closely and collaboratively with DBT teams across Germany, Switzerland and Austria to ensure a joined up approach to supporting businesses in the DACH region.
- You will independently organise key meetings with UK exporters to establish and support their export plans for the selected markets within the DACH region.
- You will carry out desk based research as well as in person discussions with potential distributors, customers and trade associations on the behalf of UK exporters.
- You will support a limited number of business events (trade shows, webinars etc.) that provide a platform for UK exporters engaging potential customers and partners in the DACH region.
- You will help create and maintain strong and mutually beneficial relationships with DBTs export support network in the UK to identify, target and engage a pipeline of high potential clients. Contribute to efforts to communicate opportunities in the European market through support for an imaginative regional promotional programme.
- You should be comfortable engaging and presenting on a regular basis and be able to articulate your advice and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required in support of the wider work of the Consulate-General including crisis work.
For further details on this vacancy and information on how to apply, please follow the link.