Are you interested in the policies and relationships that help trade grow? Do you thrive through delivering high-quality analytical work at pace? Would you like to make an impact in a fast-moving, high-profile international environment? The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is recruiting two exciting and demanding roles to support our work on trade policy, based at the British Embassy in Berlin. We are now looking for a two Trade Policy Officers (two roles) to join our team in Berlin.
DIT’s mission is to improve market access for businesses, champion free and fair trade and encourage trade and investment between the UK and Germany. This is critical to our economies, supporting millions of jobs, driving economic growth, raising wages and improving living standard across the globe, whilst at the same time promoting wider goals – e.g. tackling climate change and improving economic security. For more information about DIT’s objectives, see here.
The successful candidates will report to the Head of Trade Policy in Berlin, and work closely with a range of expert colleagues in Germany. The roles offer a combination of policy and analysis, business engagement and lobbying work and is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to develop a career in economic and trade policy.
One role will support UK businesses make the most of trade opportunities between the UK and Germany and ensure our work is underpinned by high quality analysis. The other role will provide timely and high quality reporting and analysis on Germany’s trade policy based on understanding of the broader political context. Both roles will be required to build and maintain a network of contacts in the German business and policy community, attend relevant events and provide reports and analysis to colleagues in Berlin and London.
Roles and responsibilities:
While exact responsibilities will be discussed with the successful candidates, you will:
- Identify and tackle trade barriers, investigate potential solutions, and as appropriate escalate these for resolution.
- Undertake analysis to provide timely reporting on UK-Germany trade, with a focus on where barriers to trade affect UK firms.
- Answer business enquiries about the terms of trade between the UK and Germany, investigating the rules or procedures involved in any issue, and explaining these.
- Identify and monitor key developments in German economic and trade policy with a potential impact on UK interests.
- Generate and maintain a network of contacts in ministries, business, parliament, think tanks, industry and academia to undertake your role.
- Maintain relationships with stakeholders in London as well as colleagues across the Germany network.
- Support broader teams as required, including Ministerial visits, business outreach and engagement, as necessary, ensuring join up across the network.
The successful candidates will need to be politically aware, able to understand and interpret complex detail, be good communicators, and enjoy working closely and collaboratively with a wider range of stakeholders in country teams, regionally and with London.