The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
Currently, we are looking for an Office Assistant to provide administrative and organisational support to the British Embassy’s Foreign, Security and Development Section, as well as the Private Office (which serves the Ambassador and Deputy Ambassador).
This is a support role at the centre of the Embassy, which gives the jobholder an excellent overview of British engagement with Germany.
Fluency in German and English is essential. To support the Embassy’s positive working environment, the successful candidate will be encouraged to play an active role in the Embassy’s corporate life and contribute to the wider objectives of the Germany network. A range of learning and development opportunities will also be offered and encouraged.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- General administrative duties including dealing with post, handling correspondence and telephone enquiries in English and German, distribution and filing of documents;
- Arrange meetings and appointments for the Political Counsellor and the Private Office when required and receive visitors to the Embassy; Provide timely and efficient secretarial support to the Political Counsellor;
- Provide administrative support to the wider section when required for specified projects or events;
- Assist with programmes and logistics for external visitors, such as booking accommodation and organising transport and briefing packs;
- Manage and maintain a contacts database, and other tools to improve section efficiency;
- Provide flexible support ahead of, and during, Embassy events;
- Carry out ad hoc translation tasks where required, and assist in drafting emails and letters in German;
- Provide leave cover for the Private Office team;
- Participate in wider Embassy initiatives as required, including engaging in a corporate role.
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years, with the possibility of renewal by mutual agreement.