The British Consulate-General Dusseldorf is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are seeking a dynamic and customer-oriented Consular Manager (Vice Consul) to lead and deliver first class customer service, through the provision of consular assistance and services to resident and visiting British nationals in Germany.
Why should you apply?
Are you a team player who would like to work in a diverse team within a fast-moving and exciting environment? We offer an interesting and challenging work environment, dealing with many different projects. As Consular Manager / Vice-Consul you will feel the gratification from solving problems and hardly any workday will be the same. Skills can be learned along the way, but the right attitude is what we are looking for.
Currently, we are looking for a Consular manager who will support and foster the daily presence of the British Government in Germany. The successful applicant will be working together with the Vice-Consul in Berlin to form a dual-leadership and manage day to day consular operations across Germany, build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders and agencies and deliver a targeted prevention programme to advise and inform on our wider consular priorities.
The role will involve interaction with members of the public, local, regional and UK authorities as well as being a fully engaged member of the DACH (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) consular sub-region and wider EuroAsia Network, contributing to the delivery of the country/regional business plan, the wider corporate goals of the Germany Network and the delivery of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office’s (FCDO’s) Consular Strategy. As a Head of Section, the role will also require collaboration across departments, including engagement with senior management on a regular basis. The Vice-Consul will report to, and be managed by, the Consular Regional Operations Manager (CROM) based in Munich.
This is a fixed-term 2 year contract with the possibility of a permanent contract subject to performance and funding.
Main Roles and responsibilities
- Management and development of the consular team in Germany, providing effective leadership, support and guidance. Line management responsibility for consular staff in Dusseldorf and Munich (remotely).
- To improve processes to deliver a more efficient service, manage a budget, and provide a range of fee bearing services.
- Leading on complex/high profile cases involving vulnerable British Nationals and overseeing and provide guidance to the consular team, including Honorary Consuls, in accordance with our guidance.
- Support British nationals and their families, for example in case of bereavement; providing assistance to destitute British people; supporting victims of crime and people who have been hospitalised; as well as assisting victims of rape & sexual assault, domestic violence, prisoners and people with mental health needs. Please note this could require visits in challenging environments; and some cases will have media/parliamentary interest.
- Develop and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with all external stakeholders in Germany to support the delivery of day-to-day consular assistance and crisis response;
- Plan and deliver consular prevention initiatives and communication campaigns, engaging with the Embassy’s communication team and feeding consular messages through Embassy social media channels where appropriate.
- Managing Consular Services such as issuing Emergency Travel Documents to British Nationals and officiating Citizenship Ceremonies for new British Nationals.
- Lead on Consular aspects of the whole of mission response to a crisis or incident in Germany, such as crisis preparedness activities including liaising with authorities and updating the Crisis Management Plan with the Regional Crisis Advisor and Consular Regional Operations Manager. Work closely with colleagues across our three posts.
- Provide resilience and support with case handling to colleagues in the DACH and EuroAsia Consular region; providing remote cover for other posts on an ad hoc basis, and possibly deploying to provide physical services if agreed with the Consular Regional Operations Manager.
- This position will require travel meeting key stakeholders and consular customers throughout the year.
- Provide out of hours assistance to emergency consular cases as appropriate.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure)
- Line management of 3 Consular Officers 1 staff member in Dusseldorf, 2 remotely in Munich. Support the management of 7 Honorary Consuls.
- Joint management of local consular budget for travel and prevention activity.