The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Do you want to enter the world of international affairs? Are you curious about what relations between the UK and Germany look like in practice? Interested in a future career where you can make a difference as part of a fast-moving, high profile and international environment? Then join us as an Intern at the UK’s Embassy and Consulates in Germany!
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive employer, welcoming to people of all backgrounds. The senior leadership is committed to ensuring that we are a supportive and fair place to work.
We have several internships available throughout 2024-2025, based at one of the Germany Network’s three locations at the British Embassy in Berlin and the Consulates-General in Munich and Düsseldorf.
During your internship, you will have the chance to work with colleagues across the whole team and become actively involved in a variety of areas and issues through analytical, organisational, communication and administrative tasks. You will have a manager to support you throughout your internship and you will gain insights and first-hand experience supporting international work across your assigned role.
In addition to those listed above, you might find yourself:
- Researching policy for a strategy paper or briefing for a Minister or Ambassador;
- Planning and helping to deliver events, receptions and VIP visit programmes;
- Researching and drafting communications e.g. for articles, interviews, speeches and social media;
- Supporting the planning and coordination of key meetings with relevant stakeholders, producing meeting readouts and carrying out other administrative tasks.
The location, starting date, and length of the internship are flexible (subject to the number of applicants and positions available) and you will have the chance to indicate your preference as part of your application. Preference will be given to those who are available to start in May 2024.
You’ll work in one of four teams:
- 1. Business and Trade (DBT)
2. Public Diplomacy & Internal Politics (PDIP)
3. Policy, Science and Global Issues
4. Consular Services
Our Ideal Candidate shows: :
- Excellent German and English language skills (both written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Currently enrolled in a German University or a University within the EU for the whole duration of the internship;
- Have an interest in business, economics and/or supporting the UK-DE bilateral relationship;
- Resourcefulness and strong research skills with the ability to act on your own initiative to find creative solutions to problems;
- Confident user of MS Office; strong IT skills;
- Prepared to do flexible working;
- Happy to engage in a wide range of tasks;
- Keen to work within an international setting and a good team player;
- Drive and enthusiasm, combined with the ability to deliver;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Highly organised, flexible with an excellent eye for detail;
- Social media skills would be useful but are not essential.