The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Embassy is now looking for an Economic Policy Officer, based in Berlin.
Why should you apply?
This demanding position offers the right candidate an exciting opportunity to contribute to the Embassy’s analysis and understanding of one of the UK’s most important economic partners. The Embassy has wide-ranging economic interests in Germany, and seeks to promote closer ties between the UK and Germany including through policy exchanges and partnering on projects of shared interest. We offer an interesting and challenging work environment, delivering on the UK’s most high-profile international objectives.
As Economic Policy Officer, the jobholder will undertake reporting and analysis on Germany’s economic policy based on understanding of the broader political context. They will be required to build and maintain a network of contacts in the German economic policy community, attend relevant events and provide reports and analysis to colleagues in Berlin and London. The jobholder will need to be proactive in identifying economic developments of interest to colleagues in London and the wider Embassy team, in addition to responding to varying requests. They will also be required to take on other tasks and roles as required.
Key areas of direct focus will include macroeconomics, fiscal policy, taxation, competition policy and industrial strategy, euro-area architecture. The jobholder may also provide economic analysis where necessary on subjects including climate and foreign policy. A key function will include collaborating with colleagues across the Embassy (including the Department for Business and Trade) working on areas related to economic policy to help develop a comprehensive understanding of Germany’s economic policy priorities. The jobholder will have the opportunity to undertake occasional travel in Germany and to the UK.
This is a fixed-term 2 year contract with the possibility of a permanent contract subject to performance and funding.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Identify and monitor key developments in German economic policy, especially where these potentially affect UK interests. Work with colleagues to develop a comprehensive understanding of Germany’s economic policy priorities;
- Respond to specific requests on the policy and administration of German fiscal policy (including taxation) to strengthen UK policy-making by providing evidence from the German experience;
- Maintain a network of contacts in ministries, parliament, think tanks, industry and academia in Berlin and across Germany. Support high level visits to Germany by UK ministers and senior officials by drawing on this network and producing economic briefings on Germany;
- Maintain relationships with stakeholders in London, in particular HM Treasury, the Bank of England, and the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO); and with colleagues across the wider Embassy teams;
- Contribute to achieving the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network, including by fostering an inclusive and positive working environment.
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Proficiency in English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*);
- University degree in relevant field (economics, political economy, finance, but not exclusively) and/or equivalent professional experience;
- 2+ year’s professional experience working in economics / public policy;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple priorities effectively;
- Strong analytical and research skills and able to tailor communication style for different audiences;
- Strong project management experience;
- Ability to work well on own initiative;
- Good IT skills, especially Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
It will be a plus:
- Previous experience working in a government Ministry or an Embassy in an economics related role, or similar experience in a think tank or academic environment.
For further details on this vacancy and information on how to apply, please follow the link.