The British Embassy in Berlin is a large overseas mission in the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) network. Over 100 colleagues from all walks of life work together to promote the UK and build our connections with Germany.
Embedded within a global network, the British Embassy Berlin serves as a key outpost for UK interests. The Estates team at the British Embassy Berlin plays a crucial role in upholding the Embassy’s operations. As part of the Corporate Services department, they manage and maintain over 50 properties across the city.
Why you should apply?
The vibrant Estates team is looking for a skilled and dedicated Estates Electrician to contribute to a safe and comfortable residential environment for our staff. The job holder must be a recognised qualified electrician in Germany with work experience in electrical installation and maintenance and have good knowledge of relevant standards and regulations. The primary focus will be tackling diverse electrical challenges across our residential properties and contribute to minor maintenance.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Support the Estates Manager in ensuring a smoothly running estate operation, with particular focus on day-to-day maintenance
- Install, maintain, and repair electrical systems across the Embassy residential estate
- Maintenance and repair of technical equipment and devices in residential buildings. This includes heating systems, doors, windows, swap locks, and change security light bulbs
- Repairing minor damage to buildings, replacing light bulbs, repairing holes in the wall and repairing water damage
- PAT testing as required
- Collaborate with colleagues to deliver service that exceeds expectations
- Take part in projects fostering a connected, positive atmosphere in the Embassy and German Consulates
- Provide support during unforeseen situations and in times of crisis
- Additional tasks as needed.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Fluency at C1 level in German and B1 in English, according to CEFR framework*, or equivalent
- Recognised qualified electrician in Germany with work experience in electrical installation and maintenance and good knowledge of relevant standards and regulations
- Experience with minor residential maintenance tasks
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision and as part of a team
- Excellent customer services and time management skills
- Good communication skills
- Clean driver’s licence
- An understanding and commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Be open to occasional out-of-hours work, including weekends, when needed