The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
As the economic development agency for the Government of Northern Ireland, Invest Northern Ireland (‘Invest NI’) is responsible for furthering the trade and investment growth of Northern Ireland industry in overseas markets.
Invest NI’s International Division assists companies across multiple sectors in Northern Ireland to identify and develop sales & strategic business partnerships in international markets, in addition to working with major companies in market who may want to expand into Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland has a vibrant cluster of advanced manufacturing and engineering companies with an established reputation for innovation and scientific research. Our exporters offer a range of products across many industries including Automotive, Aerospace, Materials Handling, Recycling and Renewables.
In order to strengthen our European team and support our exporters expand into the DACH region, we are seeking to appoint a highly motivated and business development/industry experienced individual, preferably from within the one of the advanced manufacturing or heavy engineering sectors.
Someone with a passion and who understands how to identify and create partnership opportunities between suppliers and buyers/dealers/distributors and identify gaps in wider supply chains that can be filled by NI companies.
This is an exciting and fast-moving role, and you will have a chance to work within a wider European team, trade advisors in Northern Ireland, in partnership with local and international stakeholders and with colleagues at the British Consulate.
Why should you apply?
Are you a team player who would like to work in a diverse team within a fast-moving and exciting environment? We offer an interesting and challenging work environment, from strategy creation and implementation, to supporting NI businesses achieve commercial wins to selling Northern Ireland to advanced manufacturing and engineering investors. As the Invest NI Head of Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering for DACH you will feel satisfaction from linking NI businesses to opportunities across the region as well as generating investment prospects. Skills can be learned along the way, but the right attitude is what we are looking for as well as the ability to come across with credible knowledge when speaking to AME companies.
This is a fixed-term 18-month contract with the possibility of a permanent contract subject to performance and funding.
What is this role all about?
The post-holder will be responsible for developing a cohesive trade, FDI and R&D strategy in the AME sector for DACH, to promote the range of sectors and draw a targeted group of Northern Ireland companies to sell to the region. It will also be responsible for attracting investment from the DACH region into Northern Ireland.
To do this the candidate will:
- Identify business opportunities in the AME sector for Northern Ireland companies through market intelligence, connections, research and meetings to promote Northern Ireland capability to key decision makers;
- Share information to allow Northern Ireland companies to make business decisions, compete for business and ultimately grow sales;
- Develop strong buyer/distributor relationships with targeted companies, stakeholders and influencers in the region, to enable Northern Ireland companies to engage with them;
- Identify potential investors and provide information to allow them to assess Northern Ireland for business growth and navigate them through the Invest NI investment process.
- Represent Northern Ireland at AME events and sponsorships to engage with C-suite executives;
- Develop a network of NI ex-pats living / working in DACH and work with Northern Ireland Connections to lever economic returns to Northern Ireland;
- Collaborate and build effective partnerships with British Embassy and Consulate, DIT and other stakeholders including Northern Ireland government representatives, business and trade organisations; and work on joint planning and delivery of events where appropriate;
- Advise and manage VIP visit programmes (including Ministerial delegations) to DACH and arrange all necessary logistics and protocols;
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Fluent English and German, both written and verbal (at least C1 level CEFRframework)*
- Recent work experience of at least 6 years within a similar role
- Excellent numeracy skills and good attention to detail
- Ability to deliver high quality work within deadlines
- Ability to juggle competing priorities
- Good communication skills and strong customer focus
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently, but also with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider teams as appropriate
- Good IT skills, especially standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook)