The British Embassy in Berlin is a large overseas mission in the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) network, with a considerable number of official visitors including Royals and senior ministers. We are looking for a Security Officer.
The Security Officer will work with a team of colleagues to ensure the safety and security of Embassy Staff Members, visitors, customers and contractors as well as protecting all properties within the Embassy and Residence premises.
The post holder will work on a shift system between the hours of 05:00am and 20:00pm, Monday to Friday, and be part of a stand by duty rota outside these hours. There is also a requirement to occasionally work different hours and weekends.
Why should you apply?
Are you a team player who would like to work in a diverse team within a fast-moving and exciting environment? We offer an engaging and challenging work environment, dealing with interesting projects. Skills can be learned along the way, but the right attitude is what we are looking for.
We are offering you the opportunity to be part of a friendly and supportive working environment with opportunities for personal growth.
What is this role all about?
This role would suite a proactive team player with experience of working in a security role and covers the following responsibilities:
- Physical security of the Embassy building and its facilities
- Access control and Security checks of visitors to both the Embassy and the Consular Section
- Ensuring enquiries at the Main Entrance, which can be quite diverse, are handled professionally. This may involve seeking further assistance from other embassy colleagues from other sections, hence strong communication and interpersonal skills are required
- Mail screening of all incoming mail to the Embassy
- Supervision of contracted security guards and other contractors
- Monitoring of CCTV and Alarm Systems
- Maintaining all security logs
- Handling / Investigating security incidents
- Dealing with possible intruders and protesters
- Liaising and escorting visitors when required
To undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
Participate in corporate projects focussed on supporting and developing the collective spirit of the British Embassy, Berlin.
This is a fixed-term 2 year contract with the possibility of a permanent contract subject to performance and funding.
Any other duties that may reasonably be required in support of the wider work of the Embassy, including crisis work.
Our ideal candidate shows:
- Experience in working in the Security Sector: Public or Private Security Sectors
- Experience in the use / operation of Mail Scanners / X – Ray Machines
- Experience in searching of vehicles and people and able to provide evidence (certificate) of training
- Reliability and trustworthiness
- Good interpersonal skills with a strong customer focus essential
- Proficiency in English (both written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*)
- Intermediate level of spoken German (minimum B1 level for CEFR framework*)
- Ability to undertake security duties, including sitting/standing for prolonged periods inside and outside the premises
For further details on this vacancy and information on how to apply, please follow the link.