he British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
DBT Germany is part of the Department for Business and Trade and consists of around 40 staff based at the Embassy in Berlin and the Consulates-General in Düsseldorf and Munich. DBT’s mission in Germany is to reduce market access barriers to businesses, champion free and fair trade, and encourage trade and investment between the UK and Germany. This is critical to both our economies, supporting millions of jobs, driving economic growth, raising wages and improving living standard across the globe, whilst at the same time promoting wider goals like tackling climate change and improving economic security.
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate-General in Munich is looking for a Senior Technology Innovation Scout to promote British emerging technology exports to Germany. This is a two-year contract that will convert to a permanent contract by mutual agreement.
The role will work as part of a friendly and supportive team at DBT Germany and a wider network across Europe, with regular opportunities to travel. DBT Germany also provides a modern and flexible working environment with the opportunity to work partially from home. As with all DBT positions, there will be a focus on working collaboratively with colleagues across the Germany Network team to maximise opportunities for the UK. The work will be varied and demanding and the successful candidate will need to be a flexible, committed self-starter, able to juggle priorities and to work on demanding timelines.
The UK has one of the most vibrant tech ecosystem in the world with a particular strength in emerging technologies such as AI, Quantum, and Cyber Security. In 2022, the UK exported more than £3bn in technology services to Germany. Exports to Germany in the UK Office for National Statistics category “Computer Services” more than doubled since 2016. This position will play a key role in accelerating this positive trend.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Scout and manage a strong pipeline of high potential UK tech companies and unicorns.
- Provide strategic senior support for their business development activities in Germany with a focus on high value deals.
- Develop a strong network of Venture Clienting institutions and other private and public sector technology buyers in Germany to advise exporters on commercial opportunities – This will include facilitating meetings for senior diplomats and ministers.
- Take an outcome-driven approach to utilising industry formats and the UK government’s convening power to create the best conditions for exporter success.
- Manage relationships with key industry bodies and scan trends and regulatory developments to identify and pursue strategic commercial opportunities.
- The job offers autonomy and freedom to set your own direction within DBT and the other government departments working on technology topics.
Why should you apply?
- Much scope for personal and professional development: Excellent networks and opportunities for support, including mentoring, coaching, job shadowing and secondments;
- Support to achieve your goals through continuous professional development, including dedicated Learning and Development days;
- Opportunities to take on ownership and responsibility;
- An equal, diverse and engaged workplace;
- Work-life balance;
- Up to 30 days working remotely from a third location, subject to business and operational requirements;
- Performance related bonus.
Our ideal Candidate shows:
- Excellent oral and written English and German (to at least level C1 CEFR);
- Minimum of 2 years of previous work experience in related field;
- Experience in one of the following: tech sector, international start-ups, business development, relationship management or government industry associations;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills to be credible with the most senior business leaders;
- Strong written, analytical and research skills;
- Very good IT skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Self-Starter – ability to work well on own initiative;
- Ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple priorities effectively.
For further details on this vacancy and information on how to apply, please follow the link.